Monday, April 11, 2011

i wanted a lot of things


I wanted a lot of things.

I wanted a big house, I wanted a nice car, I wanted lots and lots of money.
I wanted a comfortable bed, I wanted beautiful dresses and nice shoes.
I wanted to read a lot of books, visit a lot of places and learn a lot of things.
I wanted to cook so many delicious cakes, cookies and a variety of dishes just to make everyone happy.
I wanted the best computer, mobile phone, gadgets whatsoever.
I wanted to know about a lot of people, and be inspired.
I wanted to be the best in whatever I do. I wanted to be the top of my class.
I wanted other people to look up to me and inspire others as well.
I wanted to be a leader, I wanted to run a country.
I wanted to go to the moon, and own the biggest telescope so that I could look at the furthest star in the universe.
I wanted to know everything, so that I could tell everyone what I know.
I wanted to be good at sports, arts, music, writing, cooking, sewing, et cetera et cetera.
I wanted this, I wanted that.
The list is endless.

I had big dreams. I wanted to be someone that the whole world knows about.

Those are the things that I wanted. Surely, a man's desire will never stops until the day he dies. I still want some of them now, but for the most of them, I firmly believe that I would never accomplish.

When I was younger, I made a list of a hundred things that I wanted to do and places I wanted to go to before I die. For that, I used to read a lot of books related to them, watch a lot of tv series about them, because I know that I would never have the chance to make it happen. I used to be amazed by a lot of what I' d call wonders and be very fascinated by the beauty of the universe.

As I get older, reality kicks in. I wasn't aware that fantasy will bring you anywhere, and for everything that we want in this world, we have to work for it. There will be no shortcuts, and no robots (like Doraemon) to help us.

Beautified for people is the love of that which they desire - of women and sons, heaped-up sums of gold and silver, fine branded horses, and cattle and tilled land. That is the enjoyment of worldly life, but Allah has with Him the best return. (Ali Imran, 3:14)
Our desire will never please us. We will want more and more. Rasulullah mentioned that if a man has a valley of gold, he will never fell enough until he has another valley of gold.

But Allah has with him the best return.

Something to think about.

No comments: